The Ginger's Top 5 Songs By The Fray

     THE FRAY. My number one, all-time favorite band, EVER. I know all of their songs, and own all of their albums (more than one copy of each, embarrassingly enough) and can listen to their music in any and every situation. I never get tired of hearing their songs. Isaac Slade has the voice of a freaking god and a writing ability I would kill for.
      So today I thought I'd share with you my top 5 favorite songs by The Fray and why they are my favorite.

1) "Say When"- The Fray
Say When is one of their most under-rated songs. It has a little bit of a love-story-turned-tragedy undertone to it, but second to last verse feels familiar to me when taken a little out of context of the song and related to other aspects of my life.
"Come across you lost and broken,
You're coming too, but you're slow in waking,
You start to shake,
You still haven't spoken, what happened
They're coming back and you just don't know when,
You want to cry, but there's nothin' coming
They're gonna push until you give in, or say when"

2) "How to Save a Life"- How to Save a Life
Now this is just The Fray at it's best. Top notch, classic Fray. This is the song most people's mind automatically take them to when they hear "The Fray". The lyrics are amazing and poignant, and the piano melody deserves an award all of it's own. I could listen to it played for hours if given the opportunity.  We all just need to take a moment of silence to appreciate the unmitigated masterpiece that is "How to Save a Life".

3)"Rainy Zurich"- Scars and Stories
I love this one. A little on the lovey-dovey, mushy side, but never fails to make me sway my head. I like this one a lot because it kind of paints a scene in my head while I listen. My mind can wander a bit and I can take what I hear from the song and make a little story out of it in my head. Maybe it's the writer or the artist in me, but I like music that makes me visualize the story behind the song.
"I'll keep you warm,
Dancing in a downpour,
And I will hold,
Your body slowly turning"

4)"Heartbeat"- Scars and Stories
Ask people that know me well, and they will attest to the fact that I love roadtrips. And this song is always at the top of my Roadtrip Playlist. Always. The song has an upbeat, careless, on-the-run, ready for an adventure, vibe to it.
"I've got the kerosene and a desire,
I'm trying to start a flame in the heart of the night...
Oh, you got a fire and it's burning in the rain,
Thought that it went out but it's burning just the same,
And you don't look back, not for anything"

5)"Keep on Wanting"-Helios
Heartbreak, vulnerability, finding love again, blah, blah, blah- honestly I don't really have a super good reason behind why I like this one so much, I just do.
In my opinion, Helios wasn't their best album. "Love Don't Die" is one of the better songs on it, and it is nothing if not catchy. Probably due in part that it was co-written by Ryan Tedder, lead lyricist and vocalist of OneRepublic.
But "Keep on Wanting" managed to catch my attention, and it's held on.


Honorable Mention:

6)"Heartless"- Through the Years
Originally done by Kanye West. But their cover is significantly more acoustically pleasing. I found the song while browsing their music on YouTube several years ago. Back before they had released it on an album. I adore this version. Naturally, when I realized that it wasn't on any of their cd's, I did the only logical thing which was to just rip it from YouTube and put it straight on a mix. No shame.

And there you have it, folks. These are the songs I would choose if I were only allowed to listen to 6 songs for the rest of my life. And I don't suppose I'd get tired of them either.
Give them a listen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

P.S. Don't Wear Crocs- And Other Generally Obvious Life Advice From The Ginger

The Ginger Is Not Anti-Social *GASP*

So The Ginger's a Flight Risk